Painting Furniture Tips

How To Stencil Furniture


Who doesn't love stenciling!?!? Stenciling is probably one of my favorite things to do to a piece of furniture! Stenciling can add a pop of fun almost anywhere! 

I remember when I first started taking painted finish classes and my teacher would talk about stenciling. I always thought it was something from the 1980's. I did not realize stenciling is totally in the NOW! ha. 

Okay, so my favorite stencils are from Royal Design Studio. Melanie Royal actually designs all the stencils and they are well thought out and well made. They are a little expensive BUT they will last you a lifetime!

The stencil used on this drawer was a cheap o stencil from wal-mart! Seriously it was like $2.99. I bought it for fun! And this cute little chest of drawers was perfect to try the stencil out on! :)

What you will need to stencil

  • Stencil Brush Set (I like this one bc it comes with different sizes for your project!_
  • Chalk Paint (Waverly chalk paint from wal-mart works great!)
  • A Stencil!
  • Shop Towels

There are 2 main tricks to stenciling! 
  1. DAB DAB DAB with your stencil brush making up and down motions. DO NOT USE BRUSH STROKES (or you will have bleed thru!)
  2. OFF LOAD (once you have paint on your brush wipe excess off on a shop towel AKA off loading)
With the 2 main tricks to stenciling you are on you way to perfect stenciled lines every time! They will be clear and crisp. There is no need to bleed thru. Bleed thru usually happens if too much paint has been applied to the brush OR you are using brush strokes to stencil. ;) 

Let me know if you have any questions!!! I LOVE Stenciling and talking about stenciling!!Ha! ☺









No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Stencil Furniture

Who doesn't love stenciling!?!? Stenciling is probably one of my favorite things to do to a piece of furniture! Stenciling can add ...

Most Popular Posts