Painting Furniture Tips

How to Use Gel Stains



Sanding!!! EEEK!! Have you all ever felt like sanding was a daunting task? Well, me too!! I wanted to share some photos of a modern piece I did for a client that I COMPLETELY sanded.

I used General Finishes Antique Walnut Stain for this project. And guys...it went on soooo smooth and beautiful! I just love General Finishes products! I also sealed the piece with General Finishes GEL Top Coat I chose the Gel Top Coat because the Gel Top Coat is made to work with the Gel Stain. They both have more of a hair gel consistency. :) As opposed to regular stain that is runny like water. 

How To Use Gel Stains

  1. Pick your favorite Gel Stain! This is my favorite! 
  2. Foam Brushes! 
  3. Shop Towels
  4. General Finishes Gel Stain Top Coat
One of the things I LOVE about Gel stains is that you do not need to completely sand the piece before you apply gel stain to get a beautiful stained look! (you will not see the grain of the wood come thru. If you are wanting to see the grain you will need to sand.) 

Apply Gel Stain with your foam brush making sure to go the same direction as the grain you CAN or wipe off the excess stain with shop towels. You DO NOT have too if you are working on a piece that the grain is not showing thru. Let first coat dry and apply more gel stain until the darkness is to your liking! Seal with a polyurethane Like the one I have listed above! I use these products on a regular basis and love them!


This piece took about 3 coats of General Finishes Antique Walnut Stain. And it was SO much fun to do! I find that gel stains are much easier to work with than regular stains. With gel stains you have more control and in some situations you do not need to sand your piece before you apply gel stain! I had to on this particular piece because the mildew damage was too extensive. 

What do you guys think!? If you have any gel stain questions leave a comment below and I will answer them! :)


Products I used

Before


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Stencil Furniture

Who doesn't love stenciling!?!? Stenciling is probably one of my favorite things to do to a piece of furniture! Stenciling can add ...

Most Popular Posts